EducationJ.D., cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
B.A. Honors Program, Economics, John Carroll University
I EMPOWERED AMBITION WHEN I LED A MULTI-DISCIPLINARY TEAM IN DEVELOPING A PRIVATE INVESTMENT FUND MODEL WITH INDEPENDENT GOVERNANCE FEATURES TO ENABLE AN INVESTMENT ADVISER TO PURSUE SEVERAL INVESTMENT STRATEGIES.
The adviser, a subsidiary of a U.S. financial holding company, sought to pursue several investment strategies that might have run afoul of U.S. Bank Holding Company limitations, were the adviser deemed to control the funds through which the adviser proposed to manage the strategies. We devised a fund structure that balanced the preferences of the adviser and its clients and independent governance features to obtain regulatory approval and avoid BHC issues.
My practice area Is:
I HAVE WORKED WITH:
- Investment advisers with respect to organization, governance, registration, contracts, marketing and operations.
- Sponsors of private investment funds with respect to fund formation, offering documents and fund contracts, and private placements of fund interests.
- Sponsors of registered investment companies with respect to fund formation and registration, fund contracts, SEC filings, governance, and operations.
- Investment advisers and funds with respect to compliance with securities and commodities laws and regulations, in developing compliance policies and procedures and implementing compliance programs, and in preparing for, and responding to, SEC compliance examinations.
- Independent directors and trustees of registered investment companies with respect to fund governance and oversight of fund operations and compliance.
- Institutional investors with respect to investments in private investment funds and in negotiating advisory contracts for separately managed accounts.
- Investment advisers, funds, and other businesses in various business, financial and securities transactions, including financings, securities offerings, CLOs, portfolio investments, and mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
MY GREATEST STRENGTHS ARE:
- That I am a business lawyer with expertise in investment management, securities regulation, and compliance.
- My history of delivering innovative solutions to complex problems, balancing business practicalities and legal advice to help clients address business challenges and achieve their goals.
- That I enjoy getting to know each client's business, objectives and challenges and working collaboratively to develop and implement project management plans that deliver value.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW:
- Prior to joining RCCB, I spent most of my career in the investment management practice groups of three top-tier law firms serving the investment management industry.
- I am proud to have co-founded the Mid-Atlantic Hedge Fund Association (MAHFA) and to have served as a Director and Officer of MAHFA, which has been at the forefront of thought leadership for hedge fund and other private fund managers in the region since 2003.
- Throughout my career, I have been actively involved with thought leader organizations for the investment management industry, including MAHFA, the Philadelphia CFA Society, the Investment Companies Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association, the Investment Advisers Association, and the National Society of Compliance Professionals.
- As an adjunct professor at Villanova University School of Law, I taught a course on the Law of Investment Management for 16 years, and I helped launch and edit the Villanova Journal of Law and Investment Management.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME IS:
- I enjoy golfing and skiing, and I am an avid reader and an aspirational chess and guitar player.
- I enjoy creating (and eating) good BBQ. And I cook with charcoal, not gas.
- I was a rugger in college - scrum halfback and fullback - and there's still a bit of rugger in me.
MY PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES ARE:
- Former Adjunct Professor, Law of Investment Management, Villanova University School of Law
- Former Associate Editor, Villanova Journal of Law and Investment Management
- Former Co-Chairman, Investment Companies Committee, Section of Business Law of the Philadelphia Bar Association
- Founder, Officer, and former Chairman of the Board and Director, Mid-Atlantic Hedge Fund Association
- Former Member of the Executive Committee, Business Law Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association
- Former Chairman and Co-Chairman, Men's Fellowship Steering Committee, St. David's Episcopal Church
- Founder and former Director and Treasurer, Pioneers Wrestling Booster Club, Conestoga High School
- Investment adviser formation and registration
- Private fund formation and offerings
- Investment company formation, registration and SEC filings
- Investments in private funds
- Investment advisory contracts and other adviser and fund contracts
- Fund governance
- Securities regulation and compliance
- Mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations
INDUSTRIES OF FOCUS
- Investment Management & Financial Services