Corporate & Business Attorneys
We counsel our clients in all areas of business and corporate law, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital financings, commercial transactions, debt financings and credit facilities, fund formation and alternative investments, restructurings and workouts, recapitalizations, technology contracting and licensing, securities transactions and securities law compliance, and general business structuring and corporate counseling.
Our business clients consist of start-up, emerging and established privately held and publicly-traded companies, private equity and venture capital firms, individual investors and family offices, entrepreneurs and company executives, and commercial and institutional lenders. We provide sound practical counsel for every life stage for our clients’ business ventures.
Our clients span a wide range of industries, including software and IT solutions, internet, social media, life sciences, including biotechnology, healthcare services and medical devices, energy, technology, transportation and logistics, digital printing and labeling, consumer and retail, telecommunications, financial services, real estate investment and development, and advertising and media.
At RCCB, we understand business from the inside out. Our Corporate & Business Group attorneys have also served as general counsels and in other roles for businesses, have worked at large firms and small, and, in founding RCCB, are entrepreneurs ourselves.
“We have been in the trenches ourselves, helping businesses start, run, and grow, and we believe that gives us added insight into the needs of our clients, helping us offer sophisticated advice that is practical, efficient, and effective,” said John Royer, RCCB Managing Partner.
We view business in a personal way, from personal experience. We look forward to assisting you with creative practical solutions that fit your goals-and those of your organization.
What we do for your business:
Start-up and Emerging Growth Company Counseling
We counsel our start-up and emerging growth company clients across the broad spectrum of legal and business issues that arise from formation through growth and development into established companies to ultimate exit. Our services for start-up and emerging growth company clients include:
- Choosing an appropriate business form (corporation, limited liability company or partnership)
- Preparing governance documents for the business (shareholders, operating and limited partnership agreements)
- Structuring and negotiating equity and debt capital raising transactions
- Friends and family, seed, series “A” rounds and expansion-stage financing from angels, venture capital, and private equity funds
- Employment and consulting agreements; restrictive covenant and non-disclosure agreements
- Equity compensation plans and award agreements (stock options, restricted stock grants, stock appreciation rights, phantom stock, or profits interests)
- Securities law compliance
- Drafting and negotiating commercial and technology agreements with key customers and suppliers
We represent issuers, investors, borrowers, and lenders in connection with a wide variety of debt and equity financing transactions. Additionally, our attorneys are experienced in structuring, negotiating, and documenting all types of complex restructurings, workouts, and recapitalizations.
- Seed, series “A” rounds and beyond; expansion-stage financing
- Convertible note issuances
- Debtor and creditor representation on line of credit and term loan facilities, asset based lending, and factoring
- Secured transactions (receivables, inventory, equipment, real estate, intellectual property, and general intangibles)
- Unsecured transactions
- Letters of credit
- Restructurings and workouts; recapitalizations
- Entity conversions
- Stock buy-back programs
- Structured Finance and Securitizations
Mergers and Acquisitions
We represent buyers and sellers (both private and public), investors, boards of directors, management teams, lenders, and investment banks in various mergers and acquisitions and other fundamental transactions.
- Drafting and negotiating non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent and term sheets
- Due diligence investigations
- Mergers (forward and reverse)
- Stock sales
- Asset sales
- Leveraged transactions
- Transactions involving various forms of consideration: cash, debt, stock, earn-outs
- Joint venture transactions and strategic partnerships
- Going private transactions
- Distressed M&A
Securities Transactions and Compliance
We represent issuers, investors, underwriters, and placement agents in a variety of securities transactions and compliance matters.
- Private placements
- Public offerings
- PIPE transactions
- Drafting and review of private placement memorandums and subscription agreements and questionnaires
- Public company mergers
- Going-private transactions
- Federal and state (“blue sky”) compliance for securities offerings
- Securities Exchange Act of 1934 Act reporting and compliance, 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, Form 144 filings, Section 16 reporting
- Compliance under Investment Advisers Act of 1940
Technology Contracting and Licensing
We counsel our clients in all aspects of technology contracting and licensing of copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, and other intellectual property. We represent licensors and licensees in various industries, including software, biotechnology and medical devices, fashion, and food and beverage.
- IT consulting and professional services agreements; statements of work and RFPs
- Outsourcing arrangements
- Technology assignments and other transfers, including university tech transfer
- Distribution and reseller agreements and other arrangements involving other alternative channels of distribution
- Collaborative research and development agreements
- Joint ventures and technology partnerships and consortia
- Web site terms and conditions, privacy policies, open-source licensing advice
- Web and application hosting agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Material transfer agreements
Fund Formations and Portfolio Company Investments
We assist our investor clients with the formation of private equity, venture capital, real estate, hedge, and other investment funds and special purpose investment vehicles that are exempt from registration under the Investment Company Act. We also counsel these funds as they make and dispose of investments.
- Formation of private equity, venture capital, real estate, hedge funds, and other investment funds and special purpose vehicles
- Drafting and reviewing private placement memoranda
- Drafting shareholder, partnership, and limited liability company operating agreements
- Preparation of subscription packages
- Preparation and negotiation of management agreements
- Negotiation of terms with investors
- Federal and state securities laws compliance
- Alternative investments
- Private placements of securities/issuer-side representation
- Investor representation
- Venture capital and private equity and alternative investment acquisitions, financings, and dispositions
- PIPE transactions
General Corporate and Business Counseling
We counsel our clients on all matters of corporate and business law, including entity selection and formation, assisting our clients in complying with corporate governance requirements, drafting, and negotiating contracts for products and services and handling employment matters.
- Entity structuring and formation
- Corporate, LLC, and partnership governance
- Shareholder, limited liability company operating, and limited partnership agreements
- Subsidiary or affiliate company structuring and formation
- Commercial contract drafting and negotiation, including manufacturing, supply, distribution, marketing referral, resale, and management agreements
- Products and services agreements
- Non-compete, restrictive covenant, and non-disclosure agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Employment and consulting agreements
- Independent contractor agreements
- Equity compensation plans