EducationJ.D., Magna Cum Laude, State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, 1992, Editor, Buffalo Law Review, Member, Moot Court Board
B.A., Outstanding Academic Achievement Honors, Phi Beta Kappa, State University of New York at Binghamton, 1989
United States' District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States' District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States' District Court for the Western District of New York
Second Circuit Court of Appeals
I Empowered ambition when i served as one of the lead attorneys to the trustee for the bernard l. madoff investment securities ponzi scheme where i oversaw more than one thousand litigations.
I was personally involved in negotiating settlements where the Trustee collected more than $8 billion, all of which was paid to the victims of Madoff's crimes.
My Practice Areas Are:
I have worked with:
- The Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC Ponzi scheme.
- The SEC-appointed Receiver in one of Connecticut’s largest securities fraud cases.
- A Chapter 11 Trustee overseeing the bankruptcy of a large international fraud with parallel proceedings pending in two other countries.
- As an experienced mediator, parties seeking to resolve their disputes through mediation rather than costly litigation. I was appointed by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York to be on the Mediation Panel for indemnification claims asserted by Lehman Brothers.
- Debtors, private equity sponsors, official and ad hoc creditors' committees, secured and unsecured lenders, hedge funds, fiduciaries, distressed debt purchasers and others in out-of-court restructurings and Chapter 11 cases for clients in the technology, energy, retail, healthcare, food and beverage, media, real estate, telecommunications and other industries.
- Debtor-in-possession and exit lenders in Chapter 11 cases involving healthcare, manufacturing and other industries.
- Boards of Directors of companies facing financial distress, advising on their fiduciary duties.
- Lenders and borrowers in numerous debt financing and securitization transactions.
- Leading private equity sponsors in connection with LBO, CMBS and other structured finance transactions.
- Parties in litigation in federal courts in numerous jurisdictions.
MY GREATEST STRENGTHS ARE:
- Helping clients strategize to overcome their own financial difficulties or to protect themselves with respect to other companies who are facing financial pressures.
- Carefully listening to client needs, concerns and goals to develop an effective and cost-efficient plan that exceeds their expectations.
- Assisting parties in disputes I mediate to forge common ground to resolve their differences without resort to protracted and costly litigation.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW:
- I was listed in Chambers USA as a leading Bankruptcy/Restructuring attorney from 2010 through 2014.
- I was selected as a New York "Super Lawyer" from 2011 through the present.
- I am on the faculty of Lawline, a leading provider of continuing legal education.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME IS:
- I learned to ski when I was 40 years old by taking lessons with my then five year old son. Since then, I have spent many hours on the slopes with my wife and son in Colorado, Utah, New York, Massachusetts and Vermont.
- I serve as pro bono general counsel to, and am a member of, the Chappaqua Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Among other things, I drive the ambulance on calls to the hospital.
MY PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES ARE:
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member and General Counsel, Chappaqua Volunteer Ambulance Corps
- Member, Finance Advisory Committee of the Chappaqua Central School District
Industries of Focus
- Healthcare Services & Procedures
- Investor Relations
- Venture Capital Funds & Private Equity Firms
- Family Offices
- Angel Investors
- Lenders & Equipment Lessors
- Hedge Funds
- Financial Service
- Bars and Restaurants
- In and Out of Court Restructurings
- Debtor Representations
- Ad hoc and Offical Creditors' Committees
- Fiduciary Representations
- Debt Financing
- Distressed Debt
- DIP Financing
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Distressed M&A
- Corporate Governance
- Structured Finance and Securitizations