EducationJ.D., Georgetown University Law Center
A.B., magna cum laude, College of the Holy Cross
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
I EMPOWERED AMBITION WHEN I ADVISED ON AN ESOP transaction that was recognized nationally as the “ESOP Transaction of the Year.”
My Practice Areas Are:
I HAVE WORKED WITH:
- Individuals and Partnerships.
- Private Companies, Public Companies, and Not-for-Profits.
- Private Funds.
- Sponsors and trustees of ESOPs.
- Banks and investment companies.
- Hospitals and nursing homes.
- Food and beverage distributors.
- Internet gaming companies and horse racing associations.
- Manufacturing companies and construction companies.
- Executives, inventors, celebrities, plan administrators, cemeteries and more.
MY GREATEST STRENGTHS ARE:
- Understanding and solving problems.
- Describing complex concepts in understandable language.
- A disciplined work ethic.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW:
- I recovered $60 million tax free from the surplus assets of a pension plan for discretionary use by the plan sponsor.
- I obtained the dismissal of a state attorney general’s lawsuit alleging private inurement against a charitable organization.
- I successfully defended a plan administrator in a U.S. Department of Labor audit involving the potential liability of millions of dollars for alleged prohibited transactions and breaches of fiduciary duties.
- I successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar work-out for a terminated senior executive of an international public company.
- I maximized flexibility in providing retirement benefits for a large diversified public company using a “separate line of business” structure.
- I negotiated job protection and enhanced compensation and benefits in an employment agreement for a hospital CEO in connection with the merger of the CEO’s hospital into a large hospital system.
- I developed an incentive compensation plan for executives of a large privately held construction company.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME IS:
- I am one of nine children.
MY PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES ARE:
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, YMCA
INDUSTRIES OF FOCUS
- Financial Services
- Health Care and Medical Technologies
- Employee Benefits
- Executive Compensation
- Corporate Governance