Matt Brinker focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, start-up and emerging growth companies, joint ventures, and other business and commercial transactions, including employment agreements.
Middle-market private equity firms and their portfolio companies in numerous M&A transactions, on the buy-side and the sell-side, domestic and international, including transactions with complex preferred equity financing and/or senior secured and mezzanine debt financing
Founders, entrepreneurs and start-ups, as well as investors, in a variety of sectors, such as Finance & FinTech, Healthcare & MedTech, Pharma Services, Logistics & Delivery Services, Consulting & Business Services, Hospitality & Entertainment and Food Services
Early-stage and emerging companies in capital-raising transactions—from seed rounds and angel investments to Series A/B/C etc. rounds and control investments
Closely-held businesses as “outside general counsel” on various commercial and corporate matters
- B Corps and other benefit companies on organizational, governance and compliance matters
- Represented an international agroscience testing and services company in its strategic acquisition of a contract research site and services business, including long-term leases for the research farms used in the business.
- Represented the founders of a clinical trial and pharmaceutical development consulting and technology company in their exit sale to a PE-backed international pharma services conglomerate for consideration in excess of $50 million, including cash and rollover equity.
- Represented the founders of a SaaS technology company in the auto repair shop industry in their exit sale to a private equity buyer for consideration in excess of $55 million, including cash and rollover equity.
- Represented an app-based construction site management software provider and its founder in the sale of all of the company’s assets to a strategic acquirer.
- Represented a middle market private equity fund in its carve-out acquisition of a portfolio company in the electronic component manufacturing industry and then subsequent sale to a strategic acquirer.
Represented a private equity fund in its acquisition of a specialty transportation services company and then in its growth and exit sale for $70+ million to another private equity buyer.
- Represented a private equity-backed national courier and logistics company in connection with its strategic acquisition of another national courier and logistics company for $40+ million and then several strategic bolt-on acquisitions from $5+ million to $20+ million.
- Represented a healthcare technology company in its strategic sale to a large international conglomerate for $140+ million.
Represented the selling group, including two founding shareholders, in e-commerce company’s sale to a private-equity-backed strategic acquirer for $30+ million, including rollover equity and earn-out consideration.
Represented a staffing company in its $50+ million sale, including rollover equity, to a private equity buyer.
Represented a medical device R&D company in the sale of certain proprietary products and associated IP rights to a strategic acquirer for $150+ million.
Represented a transportation and logistics company in the oil and gas industry in connection with its acquisition of a majority interest in a privately held transportation logistics company for $19+ million, plus future earn-out and other contingent consideration.
Represented the founder and sole shareholder of a national telecommunications services company in connection with the company’s approximately $26 million sale to a private equity buyer and with the founder’s lease of real estate and $6+ million mezzanine loan to the post-closing company.
Represented a custom software design company with operations in the U.S. and Israel in connection with a strategic buyer’s acquisition of substantially all of the assets and liabilities of the company in exchange for equity.
Represented a diversified manufacturing business in connection with its corporate reorganization and approximately $22 million affiliated debt restructuring for tax purposes in contemplation of a sale of certain business lines.
Represented the lead investor group in the acquisition of a controlling interest in a specialty grocery business from its founder for approximately $4 million.
Represented a software provider and its founder in connection with the sale of the company to a strategic buyer for $7+ million, plus additional earn-out consideration.
Represented a private equity fund in connection with its acquisition and equity financing of a manufactured home financing company for approximately $10 million.
Represented a private equity fund in connection with its acquisition and preferred equity financing of a construction supply and financing company for approximately $10 million.
- Represented a long-standing Philadelphia-area nonprofit providing community support services in its merger of equals with another similar non-profit for the purposes of creating a larger and more sustainable network of support services to various communities throughout Philadelphia.
DEBT & EQUITY FINANCING REPRESENTATIONS
Represented a private equity fund and its portfolio companies in the specialty transportation services industry in connection with their $32+ million credit facilities, including senior secured term and revolving debt and unsecured mezzanine debt, as well as with $13+ million in vehicle financing transactions.
- Represented rapidly growing construction finance start-up and its lead investor in the company's $10 million Series A and later $30 million Series B funding rounds.
Represented FinTech start-up in connection with its approximately $2 million offering of convertible promissory notes and later $5+ million series seed financing round.
- Represented a special purpose investment fund in its $12+ million preferred equity investment in a hospitality enterprise certified as a B Corp.
- Represented a private equity fund in its $10 million Series A investment in an alternative financial solutions start-up focused on higher education.
- Represented a medical devices company in its offering of approximately $5 million in convertible promissory notes.
Represented the lead investor in its purchase and subsequent sale of a controlling interest in a distressed debt fund holding approximately $5 million of defaulted indebtedness of a paper processing business.
- Represented a private lending fund in connection with various acquisition and revolving credit facilities to professional practices.
Represented a development-stage medical device company in connection with its various offerings of over $6 million in preferred equity capital.
Represented a life sciences company in connection with its $2 million offering of Series C Preferred Stock.
My Greatest Strengths
Advising clients on their legal issues with a view toward their strategic business objectives.
Articulating my client’s value proposition in contract negotiations and closing the win-win transaction.
Problem-solving for the cost-conscious entrepreneur.
Closing complex M&A, financing, and other commercial transactions in a time-efficient manner.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
I have been selected as a Rising Star by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for Business and Corporate each year since 2018.
I am a member of the ACG University Class of 2016.
I am a published member of the Temple Law Review, and I was the recipient of the Josef Jaffe Corporate Law Scholarship at Temple Law School.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
- I love playing, coaching and watching soccer and traveling with my wife and kids to new places, while also frequently visiting the local establishments of Ambler, PA.
Business & Commercial Transactions
Private Equity & Venture Capital
Debt & Equity Financing Transactions
Mergers & Acquisitions
General Business & Corporate Counseling
B Corps & Benefit Companies
- Sustainable and mission-driven businesses
- ROYER COOPER COHEN BRAUNFELD (RCCB) ANNOUNCES FOURTEEN 2023 PENNSYLVANIA SUPER LAWYERS® AND RISING STARS®Firm News, Super Lawyers, June 5, 2023
- Firm News, April 7, 2023
- Royer Cooper Cohen Braunfeld (RCCB) Announces Fourteen 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®Firm News, May 26, 2022
- Publication, May 16, 2022
- Speaking Engagement, April 27, 2022
- April 1, 2022
- Firm News, June 3, 2021
- Firm News, May 3, 2021
- Firm News, June 8, 2020
- Firm News, May 9, 2019
- Firm News, May 21, 2018
- Firm News, April 16, 2016
- Firm News, June 1, 2015
- Speaking Engagement, National Business Institute, November 2020
- Speaking Engagement, National Business Institute, April 2019
- Publication, March 2019
- Publication, RCCB Corporate & Business Alert, March 19, 2018
- Speaking Engagement, B Lab Workshop, October 2014
- Publication, Bloomberg BNA, 2013
- For Good and For Profit: Which For-Profit Business Form is Right for You?Speaking Engagement, Social Venture Institute of the Sustainable Business Network, October 2013
- The Need and Rationale for the Benefit CorporationPublication, Benefit Corporation White Paper, 2012
- Event, Philadelphia Science Center, April 6, 2022
Community & Professional
Community & Professional
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG Philadelphia), Member
J.D., Order of the Coif, magna cum laude, Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2012
- Temple Law Review, member
- Josef Jaffe Corporate Law Scholarship
M.B.A., Indiana University Kelley School of Business, 2009
B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, Johns Hopkins University, Writing Seminars, 2006
- New Jersey
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business and Corporate, 2018-Present
Forty Under 40, Philadelphia Business Journal, 2023