Robert Toland focuses his practice on litigation and appellate practice in state and federal courts throughout the country. He has worked with clients as national appellate counsel seeking to shape the law in new directions. Bob’s goal in the practice is not to accept what the law may be in a given jurisdiction, but to press for what the law should be and why.
- Automobile, chemical, and pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Businesses in commercial disputes
- Nonprofit and other entities as amici curiae in appeals
- Represented a national trucking company and successfully argued that New Jersey’s regulations requiring that the drivers of their trucks be employees was unconstitutional under the dormant / negative aspects of the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.
- Retained post-trial for a regional hospital found liable in a medical malpractice action in which compensatory damages were awarded for $100 million.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in a product liability action in federal court in Pennsylvania and successfully argued that Michigan law was applicable on punitive damages and that Michigan does not permit the award of punitive damages.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer and successfully argued that a driver could not have heeded a suggested warning because he reacted reflexively in an accident and could not have acted reflectively.
My Greatest Strengths
- Determining my client's current legal options while also exploring the nuances and gray areas that can be further developed.
- Writing briefs that persuade the court to want to rule in favor of my client.
- Making a complicated and complex matter as simple as possible for the court and jury.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
- My clerkship provided me with a wonderful opportunity to learn and gain insights into what happens behind closed doors.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
- As a musician and a woodworker, I have discovered a wonderful symbiosis between these creative pursuits and the practice of law.
What Drives Me
- A desire to win, but also a desire for justice in the greater sense.
- Taking my children hiking, skiing, and fly fishing in different parts of the world.
- Judicial Clerk for U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Managing Editor and Co-Founder, Villanova Environmental Law Journal
Berklee School of Music, B.A., cum laude, 1985
U.S. Supreme Court
Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Eastern District of Pennsylvania