“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
Matthew Faranda-Diedrich is a partner in the Corporate & Business and Litigation Groups. He has a reputation for being an opportunity spotter and a problem solver. Matthew counsels a broad base of clients, spanning individuals, start-ups and early-stage ventures, to national and multinational Fortune 500 companies, in a wide variety of matters, including business advice, litigation strategy, transactional guidance and insurance coverage. Matthew also has deep expertise in banking and financial services, where he regularly serves as a trusted advisor and general counsel to C-suite level executives, EVPs, SVPs and other offices, as well as boards of directors in a wide variety of transactional, corporate, risk, compliance, litigation and employment matters.
Matthew’s clients count on him to provide them with practical and effective solutions to both their legal needs and their business opportunities. He is a listener and a problem solver. Matthew’s approach revolves around thoughtfully using the law as a means to achieve the client’s ultimate business objective. He carefully tailors tactics and strategies to achieve success for his clients. Matthew is the go-to choice for many businesses and individuals in the region when faced with the most challenging of situations. He was originally and extensively trained as a commercial litigator at one of the premier firms in Philadelphia. Matthew has successfully litigated opposite the largest firms in America on behalf of his clients.
Fortune 100 business technology company
Fortune 100 electric holding company
- Fortune 100 technology company
Fortune 500 insurance company
Main subsidiary to a Fortune Global 500 financial services company
One of the largest American construction management firms in the Mid-Atlantic states
Several community, regional and national banks
- The leaders of several rapidly growing companies in our region
- Several publicly-traded financial institutions
- One of the largest manufacturers in Philadelphia
- Represented the managers of three related investment vehicles in matters involving the unwinding of those entities and the acrimonious separation from former business partners. The former business partners were represented by an AmLaw 100 law firm. After initially being served with a draft complaint by the departing partners, RCCB was able to deftly both cool temperatures to permit for pre-complaint mediation while, at the same time, develop and press claims exposing the other side to significant risk. The combined strategy ultimately led to an early resolution on terms very favorable to our client.
Lead counsel in a class action is currently pending against the largest toll road operator in America on a claim valued at more than $200 million.
Primary counsel to Fortune 500 insurer in all of its insurance coverage and first-party defense work in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties, both in PA and NJ.
- Negotiated and led sophisticated lending transactions including assumptions and defeasances worth, in the aggregate, tens of billions of dollars.
Regularly serve as a trusted advisor and general counsel to C-level executives, EVPs, SVPs, and other officers as well as boards of directors in a wide variety of transactional, corporate, risk, compliance, and employment matters.
Successfully resolved multi-million dollar dispute with dissident shareholder in Chancery Court on behalf of technology company listed as one of the 500 Fastest Growing Companies in North America.
Lead trial counsel to a Fortune 100 electric holding company in the largest post-AVI commercial property tax appeal in Philadelphia, resulting in a collective tax reduction of more than $50 million.
Argued appeal on behalf of a Fortune 500 insurer, resulting in the Third Circuit affirming most of the trial court’s rulings in favor of the client.
Lead counsel in coordinated filings of a portfolio of lawsuits related to a defaulted, multimillion-dollar loan, eventually pivoting to spearhead transaction to sell the loan for full remaining book value.
Negotiated and led CMBS transactions including assumptions and defeasances worth, in the aggregate, tens of billions of dollars.
Lead trial counsel for a general contractor in a multimillion-dollar construction defect case, resulting in an advantageous settlement for the client on the eve of trial.
Lead trial counsel for owner of one of the largest manufacturing facilities in Philadelphia on breach of warranty claims against an international Fortune 100 multinational conglomerate company.
Lead trial counsel to a large automotive dealership for claims made against the world’s largest auto auction.
Directed interdisciplinary team through corporate governance and risk issues on behalf of a healthcare company, culminating in a leveraged buy-out of the company by a private equity buyer and syndicated senior secured credit facility.
Represented a Fortune 100 technology company in a bid protest related to awarding a billion-dollar IT contract.
Obtained judgment in favor of a commercial bank on a seven-figure counterclaim asserted by borrowers, resulting in the dismissal of the counterclaims and foreclosure on the mortgaged property.
Lead counsel for a credit union in defense of a proposed multimillion-dollar class action involving purported violations of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Represented an international financial services company in successful defense of proposed class action asserting claims of fraud, RICO, and consumer protection law violations, De Lage Landen Financial Services, Inc. v. Rasa Floors LP, 792 F. Supp. 2d 812 (E.D. Pa. 2011) and 269 F.R.D. 445 (E.D. Pa. 2010).
Participated in case obtaining partial summary judgment in favor of the directors and officers of Adelphia Communications on a potential claim exceeding $200,000,000, and participated in the subsequent defense of criminal indictment resulting in the dismissal of certain counts on double jeopardy grounds, the United States v. Rigas, 605 F.3d 194 (3d Cir. 2010) (en banc).
My Greatest Strengths
Storytelling on behalf of my clients, to persuade opposing counsel, judges and juries alike to believe in our position.
Providing value by acting as a trusted advisor to help clients maximize business opportunities and safely navigate risks.
Bringing an intense work ethic and meticulous attention to each matter.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
I was named a 2018 Philadelphia Business Journal "Forty Under 40" honoree.
I was selected as a "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Legal Intelligencer.
I have been named a "Rising Star" by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Magazine consecutively from 2012-2021 and a "Super Lawyer" starting in 2022.
I was selected as a member of the inaugural class of Fred's Footsteps Fellowship Program, which engages emerging leaders in the Philadelphia community to establish the next generation of volunteers and philanthropic supporters.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
I enjoy cooking and have taken several professional classes.
I studied abroad in Italy for a semester in college.
My hyphenated last name is a combination of my mother's and father's last names.
- General Business & Corporate Counseling
- Business & Commercial Transactions
Business, Commercial & Contract Disputes
- Financial Services Litigation
- Financial services and asset management
- Healthcare services and procedures
- Lenders and equipment lessors
- Real estate
- Venture capital funds and private equity firms
- ROYER COOPER COHEN BRAUNFELD (RCCB) ANNOUNCES FOURTEEN 2023 PENNSYLVANIA SUPER LAWYERS® AND RISING STARS®Firm News, Super Lawyers, June 5, 2023
- Matthew Faranda-Diedrich to Moderate PACT Fintech Series: “Securing our Financial Markets: Trends and Themes for Regulatory Compliance, Cyber Insurance & Security”Speaking Engagement, April 27, 2023
- RCCB Partner Matthew Faranda-Diedrich Represents Individuals Suing the New Jersey Turnpike AuthorityFirm News, January 12, 2023
- Sponsorship, October 20, 2022
- Speaking Engagement, October 10, 2022
- Royer Cooper Cohen Braunfeld (RCCB) Announces Fourteen 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®Firm News, May 26, 2022
- Firm News, June 3, 2021
- Firm News, June 8, 2020
- Firm News, September 24, 2019
- Firm News, May 13, 2019
- Firm News, May 9, 2019
- Firm News, August 7, 2018
- Firm News, May 21, 2018
- Firm News, February 16, 2018
- Matthew Faranda-Diedrich Quoted in Philadelphia Business Journal “What Sessions Memo Means for Banking in the Medical Marijuana Industry"Media Mention, Philadelphia Business Journal, January 19, 2018
- Matthew Faranda-Diedrich Quoted in Philadelphia Business Journal "With Big Banks Reducing Retail Lending, Smaller Competitors Have A Decision To Make"Media Mention, Philadelphia Business Journal, November 7, 2017
- Firm News, May 22, 2017
- Firm News, August 29, 2016
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, March 2, 2023
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 18, 2022
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, August 2021
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 2021
- Publication, RCCB Employment Alert, July 2020
- Speaking Engagement, ACC Business Skills Institute, September 2019
- Speaking Engagement, Philadelphia Chapter of RMA, June 13, 2018
Community & Professional
Community & Professional
Legal Clinic for the Disabled, President of the Board
- The Justinian Society of Philadelphia, Board Member
Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Temple American Inn of Court, Member
- Fred's Footsteps Fellowship Program (inaugural class)
Engages emerging leaders in the Philadelphia community to establish the next generation of volunteers and philanthropic supporters.
- Acting Without Boundaries, Board Member
- American, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations, Member
J.D., cum laude, Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2006
- Temple Political and Civil Rights Review, Editor
B.A., With Honors and Distinction, Pennsylvania State University, 2003
- Schreyer Honors Scholar
- Mitte Foundation Scholar
Third Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court of New Jersey
Philadelphia Business Journal, Forty Under 40, 2018
The Legal Intelligencer, Lawyer on the Fast Track
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2022-Present
- Rising Star, 2012-2021