"I have had the ongoing pleasure of working with Dirk on a comprehensive estate planning matter for close to a year and could not be more impressed with his knowledge, experience, creativeness and professionalism" - A Satisfied Client
Dirk M. Simpson advises business owners, executives, investors, professionals, and high-net-worth individuals and families in connection with estate planning, complex tax and administration issues relating to inter-generational wealth transfer, asset protection planning, charitable planning, and the structuring and transitioning of closely held businesses.
Clients looking to develop customized estate plans that integrate their vision values with proactive estate and income tax planning
Executors and trustees requiring experience and guidance to navigate challenging family dynamics
Executors and trustees administering estates and trusts involving closely-held businesses and those with significant real estate holdings
- Business owners and entrepreneurs looking to grow and protect their company and personal assets, with a focus on business exit planningShareholders and partners requiring independent individual counsel for resolving differences in situations involving conflicts of interest
Implemented personalized estate plans for hundreds of clients over the past 20 years.
Represented C-suite executives and closely-held business owners with estate planning and asset protection involving the transfer of company equity to irrevocable trusts.
- Counseled non-resident aliens with U.S. based-assets as well as U.S.-resident taxpayers with foreign assets in estate planning matters.
- Created several charitable structures, including the conversion of a private equestrian training facility into an IRS-approved private operating foundation providing equine therapy.
Counsel and board member of a 501(c)(3) medical research institute that is commercializing medical research through an innovative public-private corporate structure that facilitates commercialization by nonprofits.
My Greatest Strengths
- Thinking visually to better understand concepts and realizing, to my thankful surprise, that many clients appreciate diagrams, flow charts, and pictures to simplify the complexity of estate and business plans.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
- I began my career in a private family office that was subsequently acquired by a local bank and trust company.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
I find balance and draw inspiration through the creative process of making art: www.dirksimpson.com.
What Drives Me
- Good lawyering is the art of creative problem solving and clear communication.
Gift, Estate, and Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Planning
Estate and Trust Administration
Wills, Revocable Trusts, & Irrevocable Trusts
Business Succession Planning
Asset Protection Planning
Real estate owners and developers
Family offices, banks, and trust companies
Public charities and private foundations
- Firm News, August 17, 2023
- Firm News, July 26, 2023
- Firm News, February 19, 2019
- Publication, RCCB Private Client Services Alert, 2020
- COVID-19 Tax AlertPublication, RCCB Tax Alert, April 2020
- The Best Estate and Financial Planning TopicsSpeaking Engagement, New York State Society of CPAs
- Applying Integrated Estate, Financial and Asset Protection PlanningSpeaking Engagement, Virginia Society of Certified Public Accounts
- Integrated Estate, Financial and Asset Protection PlanningSpeaking Engagement, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Community & Professional
Community & Professional
Temple University College of Science & Technology, Adjunct Faculty, External Advisory Board, Professional Science Master’s in Bioinnovation
- Sbarro Health Research Organization, Director
Philadelphia Estate Planning Council, Member
LL.M., Taxation, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, 2003
J.D., Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, 1999
B.A., cum laude, Colgate University, 1996
Best Lawyers, 2024
- Trusts and Estates