"Anything is possible." - Kevin Garnett
Matt Devine concentrates his practice in the representation of entrepreneurs and businesses in a variety of corporate and commercial matters, including entity choice and formation, corporate governance, debt and equity financings, and mergers and acquisitions. He also represents issuers (venture capital, real estate, and other private equity funds) in a variety of fund formation and capital-raising transactions, including private placements, crowdfunding transactions, and other offerings. Matt is also an adjunct at Temple Law School, where he helped design and has been teaching a course called "Lawyering for Entrepreneurship" since 2016.
- Startups and Emerging Growth Companies
- Venture Capital and Private Equity Funds
- Buyers and Sellers of Businesses
- Fund Managers and Sponsors in Fund Formation and Capital Raising Transactions
- Family Office Investors
- Angel Investors
- Crowdfunding Issuers under Regulation D, Regulation A, and Regulation CF
- RCCB represented IT consultancy, Enable Consulting, in the sale of 100% of its membership interests to Prolifics, a global digital engineering leader. This strategic partnership will empower Prolifics to enrich and accelerate its various client offerings, including those in Salesforce engineering and AI-powered analytics (among others), while offering customized, innovative and growth-oriented solutions.
- Represented a leading biomaterials startup operating in the high-end luxury fashion space in connection with its $2.5 million Series Seed-2 financing round led by two of the largest and most prestigious impact venture capital funds in Europe. RCCB has served as the company's general outside counsel since its inception, including through a $500,000+ SAFE financing round. The client was recognized as Startup of the Year for Europe by the Founder Institute.
- Counseled multimillion dollar high-end athletic shoe reseller in connection with $10 million Series A Preferred Stock offering.
- Outside general counsel to biotech startup from idea conception through two rounds of financing and graduation from prestigious NY-based accelerator program.
- Represented international money transmitter in $2 million SAFE offering.
- Represented founders of online marketplace for REO and pre-REO properties in connection with $75 million offering under Regulation A.
- Counseled high-end wireless charging device manufacturer in connection with Regulation CF and Rule 506(c) crowdfunding offerings.
- Formed micro-VC fund in nutritional supplement space and negotiated and closed all portfolio investments on behalf of the fund.
- Represented international commercial solar energy company in several Regulation D and Regulation A offerings targeting U.S.-based investors for projects in the United States, Brazil and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Outside general counsel for family office that makes investments in real estate and automotive technology companies.
- Formed several real estate investment funds for clients ranging from $4 million to $20 million.
- Represented New Jersey-based private equity client operating in the dental space in the formation of the sponsor and related entities, the raising of capital under Rule 506(b), the acquisition of several private dental practices, and the closing of three commercial loans.
- Represented purchaser of title insurance company in simultaneous stock acquisition, re-domestication, and $75 million Regulation A offering.
- Represented seller of educational information and software company in connection with $10 million stock and asset sale.
- Assisted seller of private aviation company in connection with $130 million asset sale to a large public government contracting company.
- Represented public company in acquisition of several SaaS and insurtech companies.
- Represented family office client in connection with formation of new social equity cannabis retail company in Massachusetts.
My Greatest Strengths
- I think strategically to position clients for success—both now and in the future.
- I’m a career entrepreneur so I understand what it is like to start and build something new even when the odds seem long.
- I get things done. Nobody will work harder or as passionately to get you where you want to go.
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
I was one of the first few dozen staff members of the first Obama for America campaign in 2007 and joined when he trailed by 30+ points nationally and in key states. Seven states and 18 months later I saw the magic that can happen when people work together in pursuit of a common goal.
I’m still a basketball player at heart, and when I’m not watching or playing a game, I’m applying the lessons I learned on the court to make a difference in whatever I am doing.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
- When I’m not working or playing or watching hoops, you can probably catch me rolling around and being silly with my daughter Shira and my son Asher.
- I love to travel and have been to Israel, Cyprus, Romania, Hungary, Italy, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark, the U.K., and Ireland, among other places.
- My wife Julia is my better, smarter, and more accomplished half. Don’t tell her I said this, or I’ll never win another argument with her (not that I usually do anyway).
what drives me
- I believe the best thing you can do for yourself and the world is to start and grow a business. Entrepreneurship is the gateway to a better, more sustainable, and more equitable world and it is both my passion and my pleasure to help you reach your dreams (and more).
- Firm News, Best Lawyers, August 17, 2023
- Firm News, March 15, 2022
- Publication, RCCB Alert, May 22, 2023
- Published Note in Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review entitled “Aligning Profits with Purpose: An Analysis of the Philadelphia Sustainable Business Tax Credit”
- View Matt's personal blog "The Finance Lawyer"on startups and venture finance.
Community & Professional
Community & Professional
- Sustainability Business Network of Philadelphia, Policy Advisory Committee, 2014 - 2016
- Habitat for Humanity International, Crew Leader
- Temple University's Be Your Own Boss Business Plan Pitch Competition, Reviewer and Mentor, March 2018 - Present
- Kaufman Foundation's/Tech Stars Venture Deals, Graduate, 2018
- Technical.ly Philly, Volunteer Startup Advisor
J.D., Temple University, James E. Beasley School of Law
- Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review, Executive Editor
- Pro Bono Service, Award Winner
Contribution of over 100 hours of community service during law school career.
M.P.A.P., Rutgers University, Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy
- Bloustein Fellowship, Award Winner
B.A., Rhode Island College
- New Jersey
Best Lawyers Ones to Watch, 2024
- Banking and Finance Law