Donna A. Tobin focuses her practice on intellectual property and has been providing large and small clients in various industries, including the health and wellness, financial services and food and beverage industries with trademark litigation, prosecution, and counseling services for over thirty-five years. Intellectual property is at the forefront of new technologies and industries and Ms. Tobin continually adapts and expands her practice to address them, such as cannabis and non-fungible tokens ("NFTs"). In 2017 Donna was appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce to serve a three-year term on the Trademark Public Advisory Committee ("TPAC") of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office including as a member of the Office of Policy and International Affairs subcommittee. She is also the editor of Trademarks Throughout The World, a Thompson Reuters publication.
Private equity funds/family offices with portfolios of food companies
Cheese and ice cream manufacturers, retailers, and distributors
- Ethnic food manufacturers and distributors
- Cannabis companies
Jewelry, fabric, and furniture designers
Founder and lead singer of a hardcore band
Start-up eyewear company
Start-up sock company
Film production companies
My Greatest Strengths
Keeping my eye on the client's goals in litigation
Delivering value for clients
Being invested in outcomes
Enjoying my work, my clients, and my partners
Mentoring associates and being accessible
I WANT YOU TO KNOW
I was named in the World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals for Enforcement and Litigation, Infringement, and Prosecution and Strategy.
- I was named a 2021 Leader in World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), a guide to the world’s leading IP practitioners.
I was appointed in 2017 by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce to serve on the Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
I have practiced IP law for over 35 years and have loved it every day.
I function as in-house counsel to food and dairy companies.
I was named a top Intellectual Property attorney by New York Super Lawyers in 2020, 2021 and 2012.
I am recognized by Best Lawyers.
WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUELY ME
I am a native New Yorker and was born and raised in Queens.
I own and ride a Vespa.
I am a fan of Liverpool Football Club and have been to Anfield Stadium 4 times.
Cheese and Dairy
Wine and Beverages
Textiles and Furniture
Eyewear, Clothing, and Socks
- Firm News, WIPR, June 14, 2023
- Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy and Intellectual Property Partners Named 2022 NY Metro Super Lawyers®Firm News, October 3, 2022
- RCCB Partner Donna Tobin named once again in the WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark ProfessionalsFirm News, March 22, 2022
- Firm News, September 22, 2021
- The U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2022 Publication Names RCCB for Trademark, Intellectual Property and BankruptcyFirm News, Best Law Firms 2022, August 21, 2021
- Firm News, Darshan Talks, March 2021
- Firm News, November 11, 2020
- Media Mention, October 21, 2020
- Firm News, 2020
- Firm News, September 8, 2020
- Firm News, June 8, 2020
- Firm News, March 16, 2020
- Firm News, September 17, 2019
- Firm News, Philadelphia Business Journal, August 16, 2019
- RCCB's Intellectual Property Group Serves as Faculty for 4 Sessions on IP and Technology Law at the PBI Technology Institute 2023Speaking Engagement, Pennsylvania Bar Institute 2023, March 27, 2023
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, March 2, 2023
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 18, 2022
- Acting on the Trademark Modernization Act: How the Implementation of the TMA Will Affect Your PracticeSpeaking Engagement, Alt Legal , December 9, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court - Willfulness Is Not a Prerequisite for a Profit Award for Trademark InfringementPublication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, September 2, 2021
- Publication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, April 2021
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 2021
- Video, Darshan Kulkarni Interview Series, October 21, 2020
- Publication, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Publication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, May 21, 2020
- Topic of Geographical IndicationsSpeaking Engagement, Federation Internationale de Conseilles en Propriete Intellectuelle Open Forum in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Geographical Indications: Practical Approaches for Companies Inside and Outside the USSpeaking Engagement, International Trademark Association Annual Meeting, May 20, 2019
- Creating a Trademark/Brand Strategy to Leverage IP Rights to their Fullest and Increase a Company’s ValuationSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property’s Annual Trademark Forum, New York, March 14, 2019
- Lessons on LeadershipSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property’s International Women’s Leadership Forum, Menlo Park, California, December 4, 2018
- Ask the ExpertSpeaking Engagement, American Cheese Society’s Annual Conference, July 27, 2018
- Effective Brand Protection StrategiesSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property Global Trademark Roadshow at Convene, New York City, March 15, 2018
- International Considerations and LicensingPodcast, American Cheese Society , February 15, 2018
- Strategies for Launching and Maintaining a Brand, Trademarks Playbook for General Counsel: The Guide from Legal Brand Strategies for the New York City Bar CLESpeaking Engagement, New City Bar CLE, January 19, 2018
- Advanced TrademarkPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, January 18, 2018
- Intellectual Property Rights OverviewPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, December 14, 2017
- Intellectual Property Rights OverviewPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, September 28, 2017
- Update of US Trademark LawSpeaking Engagement, FICPI 2017 Europe/Canada/US Conference, March 13, 2017
- Licensing a Brand Abroad - What Clients and Their Counsel Need to KnowSpeaking Engagement, PLI, February 2, 2017
Community & Professional
Community & Professional
- Fédération Internationale Des Conseils En Propriété Intellectuelle (FICPI), Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Committee Member
- Cornell University Adult University, Advisory Board Member
- New York City Bar Association Member - Trademarks Subcommittee
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1985
B.S., Cornell University, 1982
- New York State Courts
U. S. District Courts for the Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
New York Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2012, 2020 - Present
World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
- Prosecution and Strategy, 2021-2023
- Enforcement and Litigation and Infringement, 2021
World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), 2021-Present
Best Lawyers in America, 2021
EuroMoney Women in Business Law Expert Guide, 2021