RCCB's Intellectual Property Group represents local, regional, national, and international clients in all aspects of strategic counseling, prosecution, licensing, brand protection and litigation for copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, and other intellectual property rights. We represent clients in a wide range of industries, including food & beverage, consumer goods, software & technology, manufacturing and distribution, hospitality, cannabis, the financial sector, and healthcare, from start-ups to mid-market to well-established recognizable brands. Our attorneys are strategic and pragmatic in achieving our clients’ goals in protecting, enforcing, and defending their valuable intellectual property rights throughout the country.
Intellectual Property Counseling & Licensing
- Review and development of programs for identifying and protecting intellectual property
- Draft and negotiate license and development agreements in a broad array of industries
- Provide critical advice to management on day-to-day intellectual property matters
- Conduct and oversee intellectual property audits
- Review and preparation of intellectual property status reports to enable key decisions
- Review of competitors' patents, trademarks and copyrights to assess the market
- Draft and negotiate development agreements, consulting and service agreements, and other intellectual property-related contracts
- Assist companies in bringing new products to market, including clearance reviews
- Development and maintenance of databases related to specific technologies
- Review and payment of U.S. and international patent and trademark maintenance fees
- Development of trade secret protection programs and policies
Intellectual Property Litigation
We guide our clients from the preliminary injunction phase through trial and beyond.
Misappropriation of trade secrets
Licensing and other contract disputes
Trade dress claims
Trademarks & Brands
We have deep experience in trademark and brand management in a variety of industries, such as food and beverages, furniture and textiles, computer software and hardware, SaaS, internet and eCommerce, social media, airlines and other transportation companies, logistics, fashion, consumer goods, footwear, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, financial services, manufacturing and hospitality.
Review of comprehensive searches
Opinions and recommendations regarding adoption, use and registration
Domestic filings and maintenance
- Global registration strategies
Global filings and maintenance through our worldwide network of trademark lawyers
Educate client’s employees on the correct way to use trademarks
Review watch reports of third party activity and provide recommendations
- Filing and prosecution of applications
- Maintenance of Registrations
Provide thoughtful and practical strategies for selection, adoption, enforcement and registration
Draft and respond to cease and desist letters
File and respond to UDRP proceedings relating to domain names
File and respond to Letters of Protest, Cancellations and Oppositions
Draft and advise on trademark and copyright licenses throughout the world
Draft and advise on trademark assignments
Assist in corporate due diligence relating to intellectual property
- Copyright registration
- Copyright infringement searches and opinions
- Recordal of assignments and name changes
- Client counseling
Trade Secrets and Non-Competes
- Investigation of intellectual property theft
- Trade secret protection audits
- Confidentiality policies and agreements
- Non-competes and other post-employment restrictive covenants
- Computer forensic analysis
- Work-for-hire and employment issues
- Halting fraud and deceptive trade practices
- Drafting and negotiating license, development, referral and reseller agreements
- Preparation of U.S. and international patent licenses, assignments and technology transfer agreements.
- Preparation of U.S. and international trademark licenses and assignments
- Preparation of copyright licenses and assignments
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Procurement of patent, trademark, copyright and/or trade secret assets
- Due diligence to identify intellectual property assets worldwide
- Perfection of security interest in intellectual property
- Preparation and recordal of US intellectual property assignments
- Managing international counsel further to preparing and recording intellectual property assignments worldwide.
- Advise on and handle anti-counterfeiting matters, including strategic protection and litigation
- Cross-Border Infringement cases
- Uniform Dispute Resolution proceedings
- Complex trademark Infringement cases
- Negotiation of business resolutions of infringement cases
- Strategic resolution of trademark disputes relating to cannabis
- Advising businesses, from start-ups to multi-billion dollar public companies, in drafting and negotiating complex commercial licenses of intellectual property and related service
- Advising clients on how to update and streamline their contracting and sales processes.
- Representation of musicians relating to trademarks, copyrights and termination under the Copyright Act
- Complex analysis of intellectual property rights in connection with NFTs
- Prosecution of claims under the Defend Trade Secrets Act, Pennsylvania Uniform Trade Secrets Act, Delaware Trade Secrets Act, and related claims
- Development and implementation of comprehensive trade secret valuation and protection programs
Lead counsel in aspects of the presentation of a plaintiff in a counterfeiting lawsuit. We were successful in obtaining an injunction, an award, and an admission of liability. The matter was important in the protection of the client’s marks as part of a nationwide campaign to stem counterfeiting which was costing the client millions of dollars of damages. For this reason, obtaining the injunction and admission of liability were critical components.
Local counsel the representation of a social media giant in a case of first impression involving Section 230 rights. We successfully obtained a motion to dismiss on allegations made by a well-known TV news anchor. The plaintiff has appealed and the matter is now pending in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
In a cross-border matter, RCCB acted as lead counsel in all aspects in the representation of defendants in a trademark infringement matter involving software companies. We were successful in creating an opportunity to settle upon favorable terms while saving the clients further litigations.
Local counsel in the filing of claims against large domain name registrar on claims of third-party domain name registrations.
Lead counsel in all aspects in the representation of our plaintiff in a trademark infringement, copyright infringement and unfair competition against competitors that stole our client's intellectual property We were successful in resolving all matters through a favorable corporate transaction.
Lead counsel in all aspects in the representation of a plaintiff who owned state TM registrations for cannabis products. The matter was important given the restrictions on cannabis and their inability to litigate in Federal Court.
RCCB advises dozens of businesses, from start-ups to multi-billion dollar public companies, in drafting and negotiating complex commercial licenses of intellectual property and related services, as well as advising clients on how to update and streamline their contracting and sales processes.
Lead counsel in the representation of the founder of a well-known punk rock band involving termination of rights under the copyright act that had been granted to a record label.
Lead counsel in all aspects in the representation of a defendant against allegations of collective works that were fraudulently obtained. The matter involves the construction of the scope of rights of the collective and joint works.
Lead counsel in prosecuted claims under the Defend Trade Secrets Act, Pennsylvania Uniform Trade Secrets Act, Delaware Trade Secrets Act, and related claims on behalf of nationwide payroll services, tax, and human resources services provider where the former employee had taken trade secrets and intellectual property, including pricing formulas, materials related to the proprietary software service platform, and client and customer specifications, to a competitor. Prosecution involved specifically defining trade secrets according to statutory definitions and applicable law while maintaining the client's confidentiality and security.
Lead counsel in the representation of a worldwide industrial components manufacturer in the development of a comprehensive program to locate, secure, and protect intellectual property (including inventions) and trade secrets. The program involves the formation of protective employment, confidentiality, and intellectual property agreements, implementation of employee training, audits of current intellectual property security practices, and formation of policy documents designed to ensure maximum protection of company assets.
World Trademark Review (WTR) WTR1000
World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR)
Best Lawyers in America
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
New York Super Lawyers
- Executive Partner
- Senior Counsel
- Firm News, January 3, 2023
- Firm News, U.S. News & World Report, November 3, 2022
- Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy and Intellectual Property Partners Named 2022 NY Metro Super Lawyers®Firm News, October 3, 2022
- Barry Cohen Appointed Vice Chair Of The Trademark Litigation Committee of the Intellectual Property Law Section Of the American Bar Association (ABA-IPL)Firm News, August 29, 2022
- Firm News, July 8, 2022
- Royer Cooper Cohen Braunfeld (RCCB) Announces Fourteen 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®Firm News, May 26, 2022
- Firm News, March 23, 2022
- RCCB Partner Donna Tobin named once again in the WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark ProfessionalsFirm News, March 22, 2022
- The U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” 2022 Publication Names RCCB for Trademark, Intellectual Property and BankruptcyFirm News, Best Law Firms 2022, August 21, 2021
- Firm News, August 20, 2021
- Barry Cohen Appointed Co-Vice Chair of the Trademark Litigation Committee of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association (ABA)Firm News, August 2, 2021
- Firm News, June 3, 2021
- Firm News, Darshan Talks, March 2021
- Firm News, November 11, 2020
- Firm News, November 3, 2020
- Media Mention, October 21, 2020
- Firm News, 2020
- Firm News, September 8, 2020
- Firm News, June 8, 2020
- Firm News, March 16, 2020
- Firm News, September 17, 2019
- Firm News, Philadelphia Business Journal, August 16, 2019
- Firm News, November 7, 2016
- Firm News, April 26, 2016
- Firm News, April 27, 2015
- Nancy Rubner Frandsen to Participate in a Panel Discussion on Fraud in Trademark Applications and RegistrationsSpeaking Engagement, April 18, 2023
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, March 2, 2023
- Publication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, May 3, 2022
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 18, 2022
- U.S. Supreme Court - Willfulness Is Not a Prerequisite for a Profit Award for Trademark InfringementPublication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, September 2, 2021
- Speaking Engagement, INTA Webinar, July 2021
- Publication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, April 2021
- Speaking Engagement, Pennsylvania Bar Institute Webinar, Part I, March 2021
- Publication, RCCB Litigation Alert, February 2021
- Video, Darshan Kulkarni Interview Series, October 21, 2020
- Publication, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Speaking Engagement, VC Confidential, August 10, 2020
- Trends in Trade DressSpeaking Engagement, ABA Intellectual Property Webinar, June 2020
- Publication, RCCB Intellectual Property Alert, May 21, 2020
- Topic of Geographical IndicationsSpeaking Engagement, Federation Internationale de Conseilles en Propriete Intellectuelle Open Forum in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Geographical Indications: Practical Approaches for Companies Inside and Outside the USSpeaking Engagement, International Trademark Association Annual Meeting, May 20, 2019
- Creating a Trademark/Brand Strategy to Leverage IP Rights to their Fullest and Increase a Company’s ValuationSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property’s Annual Trademark Forum, New York, March 14, 2019
- Lessons on LeadershipSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property’s International Women’s Leadership Forum, Menlo Park, California, December 4, 2018
- Ask the ExpertSpeaking Engagement, American Cheese Society’s Annual Conference, July 27, 2018
- Effective Brand Protection StrategiesSpeaking Engagement, Managing Intellectual Property Global Trademark Roadshow at Convene, New York City, March 15, 2018
- International Considerations and LicensingPodcast, American Cheese Society , February 15, 2018
- Strategies for Launching and Maintaining a Brand, Trademarks Playbook for General Counsel: The Guide from Legal Brand Strategies for the New York City Bar CLESpeaking Engagement, New City Bar CLE, January 19, 2018
- Advanced TrademarkPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, January 18, 2018
- Intellectual Property Rights OverviewPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, December 14, 2017
- Intellectual Property Rights OverviewPodcast, American Cheese Society webinar, September 28, 2017
- Update of US Trademark LawSpeaking Engagement, FICPI 2017 Europe/Canada/US Conference, March 13, 2017
- Licensing a Brand Abroad - What Clients and Their Counsel Need to KnowSpeaking Engagement, PLI, February 2, 2017