Real-World Real Estate
The Real Estate Practice Group is one of RCCB’s core practices and serves the needs of a wide variety of clients. We represent commercial landlords and tenants, real estate owners and developers, municipalities, institutions, lenders and investors in real estate projects. We have handled commercial, residential, retail, mixed-use, transit-oriented, and hotel development projects.
We take a practical business approach to each transaction, working closely with our other practice groups to ensure a smooth transaction from entity/transaction structuring, to documentation of the deal, and through closing and the conclusion of any post-closing matters. In a team-oriented approach, the Real Estate Practice Group partners with our Corporate Group to serve our business clients in connection with the acquisition, sale, and financing of real estate assets, and we lend our knowledge and experience to our Litigation Group in real estate disputes. We also perform a wide variety of services when assisting our Private Client Services Group, which include facilitating the transfer of real estate, structuring real estate holding companies, and documenting leasehold interests and management agreements. Our approach is always with an eye toward protecting our clients from unnecessary tax burdens and limiting personal liabilities.
- Acquisitions and Dispositions, including sale-leaseback transactions
- Commercial Leasing, including office, retail, restaurant, warehouse, and life-science leases
- Commercial Real Estate Lending
- Commercial & Residential Condominiums / Planned Communities
- Construction and Development (Mixed-Use; Multi-Family; Retail)
- Conservation and other easements
- Entity formation
- Financing of real estate acquisition, development, and construction
- Joint Ventures; Real Estate Investment Funds
- Opportunity Zone Funds
- Property and Asset Management
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Tax Assessment
- Review and analysis of title and survey issues
- Zoning, Land Use and Entitlements
The Real Estate Practice Group’s attorneys and support staff work collaboratively to efficiently and effectively facilitate acquisition closings. Through RCCB’s affiliation with the International Law Network (“ILN”), the group is able to bring to bear local resources and the knowledge of local customs necessary to facilitate acquisition closings throughout the country.
- A publicly traded REIT in connection with the acquisition of a hotel property located in Miami, Florida.
- An investor group in connection with the acquisition of a trailer park facility outside of Phoenix, Arizona.
- A real estate developer in connection with is proposed acquisition of a development site outside of Raleigh, North Carolina.
- A local real estate developer and its joint venture partners in connection with the acquisition of land and the development of a multi-family development project in Pennsylvania.
- A regional real estate developer in connection with the acquisition of land and the development of a mixed-use development project in New Jersey.
- A real estate investment firm in connection with a single sale transaction involving the disposition of multiple suburban office buildings.
- A franchisee in the acquisition of over 1,000 locations throughout the United States.
ACQUISITION FINANCING AND REFINANCING
A number of the real estate attorneys at RCCB regularly represent borrowers, lenders and private equity funds in connection with sophisticated real estate financings, including equity raises, mortgage financing and refinancing transactions
- An owner/developer in connection with the refinancing (CMBS debt) of numerous multi- family assets throughout the New York Metropolitan area.
- A hotel developer in the negotiation of $180+mm of construction, mezzanine, TIF and EB-5 financing.
- A developer in allocation of Low Income Housing Tax Credits, RACP money, and HUD financing for inclusionary housing development project.
- A private equity fund in connection with capital raises to acquire and develop apartment buildings and multi-family properties nationwide.
COMMERCIAL LEASING AND MANAGEMENT AGREEMENTS
Many of the attorneys in RCCB’s Real Estate Practice Group are highly experienced in commercial leasing, and a few have a particular focus in restaurant and hospitality leases/management agreements. Our clients include major retailers, public hospitality REITS, restaurant owners and franchisees, financial institutions, and others with significant leasing needs.
- A financial institution in connection with a headquarters lease comprising 100,000+ square feet of space and building naming rights and signage in the City of Philadelphia.
- A hospitality company in connection with numerous F&B management agreements throughout the United States.
- An owner/developer of a major redevelopment project in connection with a ground floor lease with a major “big box” retailer.
- A real estate developer in connection with a ground lease with a major supermarket chain and other ground leases.
- A regional financial institution in connection with all of its ground leases.
- A master franchisee of a name-brand restaurant chain in connection with its leases nationwide.
ZONING, LAND USE AND GOVERNMENTAL WORK
The RCCB Real Estate Practice Group has a deep bench of experienced land use attorneys who practice in the City of Philadelphia and many of the surrounding Townships. These attorneys have fostered strong relationships with key political players and have the skill and savvy to effect positive outcomes under difficult circumstances. In partnership with the Litigation Practice Group, we are able to advocate for our clients in the Court of Common Pleas and beyond. Our affiliation with ILN gives us ready access to land use lawyers throughout the country.
- Handled land use and zoning matters, including applications for zoning variances, conditional uses, permitted exceptions and special use applications in Philadelphia and surrounding townships.
- Navigated civic design review, architectural review, and historical commissions for development projects.
- Drafted ordinances, covenants and conditions, and worked with local and state legislators and governmental offices to establish entitlement rights for development projects.
- Firm News, U.S. News & World Report, November 3, 2022
- Sponsorship, September 29, 2022
- Royer Cooper Cohen Braunfeld (RCCB) Announces Fourteen 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars®Firm News, May 26, 2022
- Firm News, March 23, 2022
- Firm News, September 1, 2021
- Firm News, August 20, 2021
- Firm News, June 3, 2021
- Firm News, May 3, 2021
- Firm News, June 8, 2020
- Firm News, Philadelphia Business Journal, August 16, 2019
- Firm News, The Legal Intelligencer, August 15, 2019
- Firm News, August 14, 2019
- Firm News, May 9, 2019
- Firm News, February 25, 2019
- Firm News, February 6, 2018
- Firm News, September 26, 2017
- Firm News, June 22, 2017
- Firm News, June 6, 2017
- Firm News, April 5, 2017
- Firm News, June 1, 2015
- Publication, October 10, 2022
- Publication, RCCB Cannabis and Real Estate Alert, August 20, 2021
- Speaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, June 9, 2021
- Podcast, JumpStartPhilly Real Estate Radio Show , February 2021
- Publication, RCCB Cannabis Group Alert, February 16, 2021
- Publication, RCCB Real Estate Alert, December 16, 2020
- Publication, RCCB Real Estate Alert, December 14, 2020
- LawPracticeCLE Course, October 28, 2020
- Speaking Engagement, Lorman Education Services, September 2020
- Working with the Planning Commission and Elected OfficialsSpeaking Engagement, NBI Webinar, August 24, 2020
- Speaking Engagement, Zoom Event, July 2020
- Speaking Engagement, RCCB Corporate & Business and Real Estate Zoom Event, July 7, 2020
- Publication, RCCB Real Estate Alert, April 2020
- Publication, RCCB Real Estate Alert, April 2020
- Remedies to Resolve Property Line ProblemsSpeaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, December 11, 2019
- Understanding the Development and Utilization of the Comprehensive PlanSpeaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, October 30, 2019
- Speaking Engagement, Federal Bar Association, July 10, 2019
- Top Challenges in Subdivision and ZoningSpeaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, November 9, 2018
- Adverse Possession 101Speaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, January 16, 2018
- Advanced Eminent Domain and ValuationSpeaking Engagement, NBI Seminar, April 19, 2017
- Residential, Multi-Family and Mix-Use Development
- Industrial Development
- Hospitality and Dining
- Solar/Renewable Energy
Greater Philadelphia Hotel Association
Independent Lodging Congress
Jewish Federation Real Estate
The Mann Center